The Peregrine

The Student News Site of Jersey Village High School

The Peregrine

The Peregrine

Spotlight on Mrs. Brandi Lira

A Teacher Who Inspires and Guides here at Jersey Village High School

Here at  Jersey Village High School, there are  many exceptional teachers, but one stands out – Mrs. Brandi Lira, an English I teacher known for her caring and thoughtful approach.  Also known for putting her students first, Mrs. Lira finds joy in her work and is passionate about supporting the growth of her students both academically and emotionally.

‘’My passion is supporting the growth of individuals. Being a teacher allows me the opportunity to help students grow academically, socially, and emotionally. Every day is a new opportunity to show up for a student in the ways they need you on that particular day.’’-Mrs.Lira said.

Mrs. Lira proudly reflects on two significant accomplishments that she has accomplished so far this year.

‘ First off is knowing that I have made an impact on several students.There have been several situations this year where a student reached out for guidance or help with a problem they were having.I am honored that my students think of me when they need words of encouragement or assistance from a trusted adult. Another is when I was named OutSmart Magazine’s Readers Choice for Favorite Female LGBTQ High School Teacher for 2023! I do a lot of work in the Houston area with two non-profit organizations, advocating for students in marginalized communities.’’-Mrs.Lira said.

When asked about the advice she gives to her students, Mrs. Lira emphasizes the importance of acknowledging and working through life’s challenges. She encourages students to shift their perspective and use difficult circumstances as motivation for success.

‘’The real work comes from shifting your perspective. Some people will use their difficult circumstances as excuses for their failure. I encourage all of my students (past, present, and future) to use those circumstances as reasons to pursue success. I will end with the motto I spoke daily during my time as a high school principal, which has stuck with many of my students over the last 10 years: You can if you want to; you will if you try’’-Mrs.Lira said.

Described by Mrs Routh, a teacher in her team, Mrs. Lira creates a safe environment for her students. Her teaching knowledge involves pushing students to explore new things and take risks while ensuring they feel supported.

’’I would describe Mrs. Lira as a leader who lets her values guide her actions. She cares about her students inside and outside of the classroom. As a teacher she works to make sure everyone feels safe, even when pushing her students to try new things or take risks.’’-Mrs Routh said.

Mrs. Brandi Lira’s impact at Jersey Village High School extends far beyond the classroom. Her dedication, kindness, and embrace of new opportunities shows the qualities of a spotlight teacher, leaving a mark on the hearts and minds of her students.