JV Players open season with musical, “The Addams Family”

Back to Article
Back to Article

Taking command of the vocal and orchestra alumni Chester Hilborn and Priscilla Salisbury work with JV Players actors. Photo by Keren Salinas

Keren Salinas

Keren Salinas

Keren Salinas

Katie Knight and Keren Salinas

JV Players will debut the year’s theater season with “The Addams Family.”

Adding a twist to the traditional show, this play will be a romantic comedy between Wednesday, the Addams’ family’s daughter, and Lucas, the boy she plans to marry. Wednesday finds herself being ashamed of her family being “freaks” and different, but in fact that draws Lucas to her.

Debuting on the high school stage freshman Jessie Bess takes on the role of Pugsley. Photo by Keren Salinas

Taking on the role of Pugsley, Wednesday’s brother, freshman Jessie Bess II will make his first appearance on the high school’s stage. Veteran and seniors Bobby Ginsburg and Julio Gonzalez will join Bess in the production.

Bess originally did not think of being in theater because he thought he was not good enough until his friend encouraged him to try out for the play, “Annie.” He ended up landing the lead role and played Oliver Warbucks, adoptive father.

“I really feel fine arts showcase people’s personalities on stage because it gives them a better view on how a person acts, sings and on their talent,” Bess said.  “I really wish to pursue that dream of becoming an actor.”

Pullquote Photo

I am excited to take command of the lead role for the first time.”

— senior Julio Gonzalez

While Bess will enter the high school stage for the first time, Gonzalez has been in 11 productions since his freshman year, his first being “West Side Story.” He is excited to take command of the lead role for the first time. Gonzalez will be playing Gomez, Wednesday’s father, and husband to Morticia. Gonzalez feels that because he is Latino he can really see himself in the character.

Another veteran JV Player Ginsburg enters the stage playing the part of Lucas.

Lucas, the love interest of Wednesday. Ginsburg said that originally he did not want to be in theatre his freshman year, but four years and seven plays later, he still continues to perfect his roles. Although Ginsburg does not want to continue theatre after graduation, his dream is to become a pop star. Ginsburg claims he practices two hours a day for his role, but most of that is in the shower.

The year 1990 marked her first year at the high school as theater teacher and director.

“I want to make this a’ blow your mind with fun’ kind of year. I hope to see alumni at every show,” Crocker said.

“It’s what makes this show really special,” Crocker added.

The JV Players will follow “The Addams Family” with “Anastasia”, and then go into the UIL One Act Play season. They will also be producing a Black Box show in the spring, and will announce the production name later.

Crocker has also scheduled the annual Broadway Revue with Andrea Rivette and Chuck Wagner for the spring, in addition to the Senior-Directed one-act plays.

Photo by Keren Salinas