Girls find challenge from Memorial team, end game in loss

Jackie Orozco

“I mentally get prepared for my games by staying focused throughout the whole day before and the day of knowing I have to be out on that field and giving it my all. Soccer isn’t just a ball, to me it is my happy place, a place where I can step on the field and just forget all about my problems, and where family is made connecting all over the world. Being able to play the sport of soccer is such a blessing knowing there’s a lot of people who would love to play the sport,” Leslye Silva, junior, said

Jackie Orozco, Staff Reporter

With the breeze hitting the field, the school’s girls’ varsity soccer team gathered around as one to listen to Brandon Smith’s, head girls’ coach, in preparation for the game. As the first 40 minutes of the game started, the girls communicate to block passes from the Memorial High School team.

The clouds started to fill up the night sky, rain poured over the girls and the spectators. With the rain getting more intense and winds a little stronger the girls never stopped the game. The fans remained in the stands cheering on the girls as Leslye Silva, junior, is given a free throw kick.

Jackie Orozco
Despite the long hold back in the game, the rain and the cold the girls continued to fight hard against the Memorial girls. Although they ended the night with a loss of 4-1 the girls plan on coming back stronger in their next game.

“Throughout the whole game it was a big challenge not just for me but also for my team it was a big challenge for us because we were up against a hard team, a team we were tied for third place in district,” Silva said.

Despite the cold, the rain and the hard game the Lady Falcons still put up a fight against the Mustangs and didn’t give up for the night. Although the night ended up with a loss of 4-1, the girls walked off the field with their head high and with more determination for their next game.

“My team and I have grown so much as a whole to improve our strategies by working as a team, staying focused, and practicing like if it was a game. We can all see that we have improved so much, even the people who doubted us are surprised on how we’re doing in district. Not only that, but our style of play tells us how much we have grown,” Silva said.

“I mentally get prepared for my games by staying focused throughout the whole day before and the day of knowing I have to be out on that field and giving it my all. Soccer isn’t just a ball, to me it is my happy place, a place where I can step on the field and just forget all about my problems, and where family is made connecting all over the world. Being able to play the sport of soccer is such a blessing knowing there’s a lot of people who would love to play the sport,” Silva added.

Jackie Orozco
Going up against Memorial the Lady Falcons are tied and play a long and hard game, staying focused throughout the entire night.