Cosmetology earns 1st place awards at fourth annual cosmetology competition

Laura Brady

Competitions such as Live Makeup and Live Nail Art, are competitions where students are given an hour to prepare and another hour to complete their project. Brigni Cartagena, senior, works on Karen Salinas, senior.

Mariela Vargas, Co Editor

The cold air filled the room as the day came closer. Future cosmetologists rushed, yet, kept their patience to finish their projects. The high school’s cosmetology girls prepared their projects to present, while others prepared mentally to take on the ‘Live’ competitions, at the fourth annual district cosmetology competition.

On January 25, Arielle Dixon, Ashley Zamora, Yahilen Vega, Clare Brownsberger, Paola Morales, Alheile Bassoco, Miranda Reyes, Monica Canno, Gisella Hernandez, Elizabeth Frisch, Isabella Martinez, Emily Braden, Lakrisha Jenkins, juniors, and Estefany Hernandez, senior, placed first at the Fourth Annual Cosmetology Competition at Cypress Ranch High School.

Laura Brady
On January 25, the high school’s cosmetologists competed at the Fourth Annual Cosmetology Competition at Cypress Ranch High School. Apart from hair, makeup and nails, students were also given an opportunity to get in touch with their creative side by competing in the Mini-Salon Competition. In this competition students work together as part of a mini salon in the five weeks that they are given.

“I am so excited about the skills that the students showcased. I believe that this was and will continue to be a great experience for our students. Having so many students place was amazing. I don’t think I can even express how proud I am of the students of the Jersey Village High School Cosmetology Department,” Cosmetology instructor Laura Brady said.

The competition ranges from pre made projects to live competitions. Fantasy is a competition in which students were instructed to play out a fantasy hair updo. Students were given five weeks to prepare their pre-made updos. This landed Dixon, Zamora, Vega and Brownsberger in first place of the category.

“I competed in the fantasy updo. I felt as if I was perfect for this competition due to the fact that I’m really creative and ever since I was little I’ve loved playing with hair. It was just the perfect combination for me since I’m really passionate about hair,” Brownsberger said.

Unlike the pre made projects, competitions such as Live Makeup and Live Nail Art, students are given an hour to prepare and another hour to complete their project. Martinez, placed first in Nail Art.

“Turning cosmetology into a career is huge because I believe into making girls smile and boosting their confidence and just make them feel good about themselves. This also helps me improve my skills, it’s just a stress reliever to me,” Zamora, said.

Apart from hair, makeup and nails, students were also given an opportunity to get in touch with their creative side by competing in the Mini-Salon Competition. Here, a group of students work together a mini salon in the five weeks that they are given. Bassoco, Hernandez, Reyes, Canno, Hernandez, and Frisch, all placed first in the competition.

Cosmetology students are under the guidance of Dayla Hill and Brady.

In the Fantasy competition students were instructed to play out a fantasy hair updo. Students were given five weeks to prepare their pre-made updos. “I competed in the fantasy updo. I felt as if I was perfect for this competition due to the fact that I’m really creative and ever since I was little I’ve loved playing with hair. It was just the perfect combination for me since I’m really passionate about hair,” Clare Brownsberger, junior, said.