Principal announces Carrillo as teacher of the year

Beau Brittain

As her students reviewed U.S. History topics, Nicole Carrillo laughs with her students as she watches their game. Carrillo’s teaching skills have earned her the Teacher of the Year award for 2020. “It feels great to be recognized for what I do in the classroom. I am constantly thinking about how I can improve as a teacher and ensure that my students are getting the best of what I can offer them,” Carrillo said.

Beau Brittain, Co-Editor

Nicole Carrillo has been named JVHS Teacher of the Year for 2020.There were many nominees for the honor, but Carrillo, a US History teacher, stood out as the clear winner. At a meeting with her colleagues, Principal Maggie Wiley made the announcement. The applause filled the school’s auditorium, Carrillo made her way to the front and accepted the honor. She was met with hugs from her family, friends, and colleagues.

“It feels great to be recognized for what I do in the classroom. I am constantly thinking about how I can improve as a teacher and ensure that my students are getting the best of what I can offer them,” Carrillo said.

Afal Khan
After 12 years of teaching, U.S. History teacher, Nicole Carrillo has been named Teacher of the Year for 2020. Carrillo, one of many nominees, accepted the honor from Principal Margaret Wiley at a faculty meeting. This year, Wiley asked the school’s faculty with help deciding the winner. In the end, after receiving input from the faculty members, Wiley decided Carrillo would be Teacher of the Year. “The greatest compliment is when those who do what you do recognize you as the best. As I reviewed the nominations it was evident in reading the words of her peers, Mrs. Carrillo is truly special and gives her all to our students and staff every day,” Wiley said

In 2008, after graduating from Texas A&M University, Carrillo accepted a teaching job at the school from former Principal Ralph Funk.. For her, taking this role was not just accepting a job offer, instead she was accepting a calling from God.

“I became a teacher because I felt like God was calling me to serve young adults. I wanted to make a difference in the lives of my students and offer them a positive support system that allowed them to succeed not only in their time here at Jersey Village, but beyond high school as well,” Carrillo said.

Every year, Carrillo receives over a hundred new students in her classes, through the year she works to leave a lasting impact on each of them. As her students go through their junior years, she wants to let them know that they have full support from her.

“I want my students to know that I care about them. I want them to know that beyond their families and friends, they have another person cheering them on in life. I want them to know that I believe in them and I think they are capable of great things. I want them to know that life won’t always be easy, but they can make it through any challenge,” Carrillo said.

Carrillo’s teaching ability has earned praise from her colleagues. Fellow US History teacher, and close friend, Adriane Wolfe celebrated Carrillo’s honor.

Afal Khan
At a school faculty meeting, Principal Margaret Wiley announced, U.S. History Teacher, Nicole Carrillo as the Teacher of the Year for 2020. Carrillo was met with applause from her colleagues and hugs from her family. “I became a teacher because I felt like God was calling me to serve young adults. I wanted to make a difference in the lives of my students and offer them a positive support system that allowed them to succeed not only in their time here at Jersey Village, but beyond high school as well,” Carrillo said. Carrillo arrived at the school after graduating from Texas A&M University in 2008.

“Mrs. Carrillo is the hardest working, most caring teacher I know. She goes above and beyond for her teammates and her students. She creates an environment that makes everyone feel welcome and works tirelessly to make sure her students are all successful,” Wolfe said.

Others lauded Carrillo’s professional skills and how she takes elements of pop culture to help make her assignments even more fun. Chelsea Branch, US History teacher, tells of her use of the singer Beyonce in lessons.

“[Carrillo] goes above and beyond to provide quality first time instruction and makes the content relatable to her students… Ms. Carrillo loves Beyonce and tries to include her in all her lessons,” Branch said.

Principal Margaret Wiley, with the help of the assistant principals and administrators, decides the Teacher of the Year. This year, Wiley asked the school’s faculty with help deciding the winner. In the end, after receiving input from the faculty members, Wiley decided Carrillo would be Teacher of the Year.

“The greatest compliment is when those who do what you do recognize you as the best. As I reviewed the nominations it was evident in reading the words of her peers, Mrs. Carrillo is truly special and gives her all to our students and staff EVERY day,” Wiley said.