Coleman accepts scholarship to University of Illinois at Chicago

After+three+years+of+running+up+and+down+the+basketball+court+Davion+Coleman%2C+senior%2C+signs+and+commits+to+The+University+Of+Illinois+At+Chicago.+Coleman+follows+his+big+dream+and+stays+focused+on+what+is+best+for+himself.+%E2%80%9CDavion%E2%80%99s+put+his+work+in+ever+since+his+sophomore+year+as+a+varsity+member.+You+can+see+the+evolution+of+him+growing%2C%E2%80%9D+Reggie+Childress%2C+varsity+basketball+coach%2C+said.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

After three years of running up and down the basketball court Davion Coleman, senior, signs and commits to The University Of Illinois At Chicago. Coleman follows his big dream and stays focused on what is best for himself. “Davion’s put his work in ever since his sophomore year as a varsity member. You can see the evolution of him growing,” Reggie Childress, varsity basketball coach, said.

Quyen La

Quyen La

Quyen La

Jackie Orozco, Staff Reporter

In front of a crowd of teammates, family, friends and school administrators, Davion Coleman, senior, stood with both his parents by his side and a pen in his hand prepared to sign to the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Coleman will leave his mark on and off the court and awaits a new chapter in his life after high school.

“Educational wise, they are the number two accounting school, and I want to major in accounting, and it was a good fit. It was also the best fit for me with basketball, and I want to get out of Houston,” Coleman said.

Ariana Moreno
Growing as a person and as a player, Coleman has had people by his side. “My parents have sacrificed a lot for me, taking me to practice early in the mornings and paying AAU fees. I’ve seen them sacrifice their dreams so I could live mine,” Coleman said. The athlete, playing many years before high school basketball, has grown and improved himself. “As a mother I’ve seen him mature in so many ways, and I think it all started when his dad started coaching him,” Courtney Coleman, mother, said.

Although fearing to leave home, his friends and family behind, Coleman feels he should make the sacrifice and plan for a better future out of state.

“I love my family, but I don’t want to be the same average guy to just go to Prairie View. There’s nothing wrong with that school, but I just want to get out, get experience, and try something new,” Coleman said.

Having the busy schedule of an athlete, Coleman has not walked the path alone. The young athlete has always been surrounded by love and support from his parents since the start and views them with admiration.

“My parents have sacrificed a lot for me, taking me to practice early in the mornings and paying AAU fees. I’ve seen them sacrifice their dreams so I could live mine,” Coleman said.

Both Courtney Coleman, mother, and Aisha Williams Burton, father, see their son’s dream becoming a reality right in front of their eyes. Standing on the sidelines of the school gym they have watched their son dribble the ball from one end of the court to the other, watched him lead the team to victories and now they get to experience him enter the real world after seeing him grow as a person and as an athlete.

“As a mother I’ve seen him mature in so many ways, and I think it all started when his dad started coaching him, started making me so proud to see his dad assuming the plays, and the things he had in him when I first met him, and I see it all over Davion now,” Coleman said.

Not only have his parents watched him grow, but so have the coaches. They have seen Coleman make a change in himself as a player, since his sophomore year.

“Davion’s put his work in ever since his sophomore year. He played on varsity as a sophomore and you can see the evolution of him growing and putting in work during the summertime. He’s improved the game by leaps and bounds,” Reggie Childress, varsity basketball coach, said.

Having countless memories while being on the team, Coleman makes each one count, especially the ones on the court and with his teammates.

Jackie Orozco
Having much planned for his future Coleman is determined to make something big of himself and make a mark where he lands in life. “I love my family, but I don’t want to be the same average guy to just go to Prairie View. There’s nothing wrong with that school, but I just want to get out, experience, and try something new,” Coleman said.

“My most memorable moment would have to be when we beat Cy-Creek at Cy-Creek on a buzzer beater by my teammate Jason Garcia. It was memorable because we hadn’t beat them in a couple years at their school, so it was a good time for our team and our coaches,” Coleman said.

In hope of leaving a mark on the team Coleman puts his effort, dedication and skills in, not only for his benefit but his teammates as well,

“I’ve seen myself get more mature. I hope to be viewed as a leader and that no matter what, always play hard,” Coleman said.

Signing to an out of state school to follow his dreams and head towards a good future, Coleman continues to have endless support and love from the people who mean the most to him.

“I just hope that he goes in with an open mind, to still work hard to get to where he needs to be. That’s a whole different can of worms going from high school and going into college. The one thing that he’s going to have to realize is that those guys are bigger, stronger, and faster and he’ll have the ability to do that himself. (He will need to) hit that weight room and spend more time working on his craft. I wish nothing but the best for him. He’s going to have to continue to put into work because once you get to that level, everyone’s good,” Childress said.

Childress has additional advice for Coleman and all his players.

“Always be prepared. Always be prepared, accept the challenge, but always be prepared. You just never know what’s going to happen,” Childress said.