FFA member stands out in public speaking

Back to Article
Back to Article

This summer, Marie Salazar, sophomore,  placed third in Spanish Creed at the Texas FFA State Convention in Fort Worth, Texas. “Because I had just started off in high school, and was completely new to FFA, I knew that public speaking wasn’t going to be easy. I went into it with a positive mindset, but in the back of my mind, I always feared failure,” Salazar said.

This summer, Marie Salazar, sophomore, placed third in Spanish Creed at the Texas FFA State Convention in Fort Worth, Texas. “Because I had just started off in high school, and was completely new to FFA, I knew that public speaking wasn’t going to be easy. I went into it with a positive mindset, but in the back of my mind, I always feared failure,” Salazar said.

Mariela Vargas, Co-Editor

“Thank you, God. For allowing me to come this far. This is it,” she said as fear and anxiety over took her.

The man in front of the stage, in front of thousands of FFA students from across Texas started reading off the names. “Marie Salazar, third.” Relief and shock oozed through her, tears filled her eyes while a smile grew on her face.

“Because I had just started off in high school, and was completely new to FFA, I knew that public speaking wasn’t going to be easy. I went into it with a positive mindset, but in the back of my mind, I always feared failure,” Marie Salazar, sophomore, said.

On October 19, Marie Salazar, sophomore, competed in the FFA Prairie View Area competition, and moved on to place second in state in English Creed, where she competed against other schools around the area.

This summer, Salazar placed third in Spanish Creed at the Texas FFA State Convention in Fort Worth, Texas. The Spanish Creed became a part of the FFA when Puerto Rico became a state association in 1932. The speech is judged by voice, stage presence, power of expression, general effect, response to questions, time and accuracy.

“I listen to kids speak. I am constantly looking for Public Speakers. Public Speaking is the number 1 fear in America. I truly believe that is a kid can graduate from high school and can speak in front of a group confidently, assertively and with class, that will be prepared for a professional life and life in general,” Agriculture teacher Kyle Gilbert said. “Marie very much possesses that quality and speaks very well in front of a group.” Gilbert added.

Apart from her win at state, Salazar placed first in Area in Prairie View on May 16. Salazar also had several competitions prior to Area. Compared to other students, Salazar only had three to four weeks to prepare for area, while the other students had four to five weeks.

“For me, the road to state meant more than just being the best at reciting the Creed or giving a performance. It was about proving to myself that I had the ability to do something big and leave a mark every single step along the way,” Salazar said.

The FFA Creed first became appeared in 1929 and was adopted as the official creed of the FFA. It was first written by an educator, Erwin Milton Tiffany. The Spanish creed was then added three years later.

On October 19, Salazar competed in the Prier View Area competition, and moved on to place second in state in English Creed, where she competed against other schools around the area.
“This year, I plan to add a bit more umph to my speech. I want to convey a painting and allow the judges to see while hearing,” Salazar said.

After the creed is done, each judge develops three questions in Spanish that are related to the creed. The contestant is expected to answer in Spanish, all done in four minutes. If the contestant goes over the expected time, each second over the time counts as a point off.

“It gives me a feeling of accomplishment being able to not only prove myself in one language but master it in another. It also makes me realize how blessed I am to be able to succeed and prosper in this field which I am grateful for. Win or lose, I come out of it a winner,” Salazar said.

Salazar will be competing in November at Districts for all LDE (Leadership Development Events) students in public Creed speaking.