Girls Who Code offers more than technology skills

Back to Article
Back to Article

Speaking with a prospective club member, Jane Nguyen, senior, introduces Girls Who Code to the high school.  Even though the club is named Girls Who Code, the club is open to girls and boys. For the first semester, the club will focus on teaching students about coding and how to code. During the second semester, the focus will turn onto impact projects around the school and community. “In Girls Who Code, we learn coding skills and techniques and then apply them to real world problems through an impact project. The club was created to build a STEM environment [conducive] to collaboration among all genders, to provide students with diverse backgrounds access to a coding curriculum, and to positively impact the community through technology,” Nguyen said.

Speaking with a prospective club member, Jane Nguyen, senior, introduces Girls Who Code to the high school. Even though the club is named Girls Who Code, the club is open to girls and boys. For the first semester, the club will focus on teaching students about coding and how to code. During the second semester, the focus will turn onto impact projects around the school and community. “In Girls Who Code, we learn coding skills and techniques and then apply them to real world problems through an impact project. The club was created to build a STEM environment [conducive] to collaboration among all genders, to provide students with diverse backgrounds access to a coding curriculum, and to positively impact the community through technology,” Nguyen said.

Quyen La

Quyen La

Quyen La

Beau Brittain, Co-editor

Students will now have the opportunity to learn a new skill through a newly created club, Girls Who Code. Girls Who Code strives to teach girls, and boys, to code and apply these skills to their community. Senior Jane Nguyen will lead the organization as president, with Larry Daniels as the sponsor.

Even though the club is named Girls Who Code, the club is open to girls and boys. For the first semester, the club will focus on teaching students about coding and how-to code. During the second semester, the focus will turn onto impact projects around the school and community.

Quyen La
Girls Who Code, a new club at the high school, strives to teach girls, and boys, to code and apply these skills to their community. Even though the club is named Girls Who Code, the club is open to girls and boys. Seniors, Michael Lin and Nathan Tran attended the first meeting of Girls Who Code. “I believe that coding and computer science are as important as the core courses because of innovation with computers in today’s society. A ton of jobs for the future will require knowledge of computer science,” Lin said.

“In Girls Who Code, we learn coding skills and techniques and then apply them to real world problems through an impact project. The club was created to build a STEM environment [conducive] to collaboration among all genders, to provide students with diverse backgrounds access to a coding curriculum, and to positively impact the community through technology,” Nguyen said.

Girls Who Code is a nationwide, nonprofit organization that dedicates itself to encouraging women of all ages to learn computer coding and enter the computer science industry. Computer science is an ever-growing industry, expected to add around 557,000 jobs by 2026. Nguyen wants to help students at the school be a part of that growth.

“Our world is relying more and more on technology, so we need to adapt and learn the world’s new language,” Nguyen said.

The students of the school, who are joining the club, see a new opportunity in this club to learn new skills, skills that can be applied to potential careers in the future.

“I believe that coding and computer science are as important as the core courses because of innovation with computers in today’s society. A ton of jobs for the future will require knowledge of computer science,” Michael Lin, senior, said.

Quyen La
Students watch Jane Nguyen, senior, as she introduces the students to Girls Who Code. The club was started by Nguyen, who will be the club’s president. Nguyen wants to help educate the club’s members so, one day, they can enter the ever-growing computer science industry. “Our world is relying more and more on technology, so we need to adapt and learn the world’s new language,” Nguyen said.

Although there are many financial advantages that come with learning coding skills, Nyguen wants to help her classmates with other skills that are needed in life, even if they do not enter the computer coding industry.

“Through coding projects, we hope that students will not only learn to code but also build essential skills such as teamwork and leadership. We want our members to be able to grow not only in knowledge but also in skill. We hope that when they graduate, they will have built the confidence, leadership, and collaborative skills essential to their future,” Nyguen said.