Men of Honor, Leading Ladies added to official school organizations

Back to Article
Back to Article

With motivation and intention Christian Bargas, junior, sets his heart and mind to the Men of Honor club to better himself and future. “I’ve had a bunch of regrets in life, but I refuse to let school year 2019-2020 at Jersey Village High School to be one I regret. I am joining and learning about everything that interests me. I encourage all young men and gals to do so and settle for nothing less,” Bargas said

Jackie Orozco

Jackie Orozco

Jackie Orozco

Jackie Orozco and Sierra Rickerson

Soon ties and dresses will fill the high school as the formal attire of Men of Honor and Leading Ladies. This will display what they’ve learned about leadership, loyalty and the power of being a good spouse. The groups, initiated by Christopher Rose, and Jillian Powell, assistant principals, were introduced in September to the high school and are in their fifth year since being created at Cook Middle School in 2014.

Jackie Orozco
Surrounded by many young students, Chris Rose, assistant principal and Men of Honor sponsor, took the opportunity given to him to make a change in their lives and the community. “This organization means giving back and lending a helping hand. As a young person, exposure gave me the opportunity to dream. By being exposed to different careers and perspectives, students will be able to see possibilities of what lies ahead,” Rose said.

“Men of Honor and Leading Ladies were [introduced to] the high school. in 2019 to develop a support group which inspire the next generation of leaders. The programs will aspire to provide our members with adult role models, exposure to different careers, opportunities to discuss topics, and engage in activities for young men and women to develop into respectful, successful servant leaders in society,” Rose said.

This club helps with social aspects of teenage life like career processing, ways to contribute to today’s society and being a positive influence on others. With changing times life as a teenager becomes harder and sense of direction in adolescence becomes lost. Rose created this group to show the students of the high school the power of persistence and hard work as he helps them find their way to becoming future leaders.

At the initial meeting Rose displayed different career paths and invited an FBI agent, a motivational speak/rapper and talked about personal experiences to give students an example of potential future careers. They also spoke about the consequences of personal action and the responsibility of technological irresponsibility.

Jackie Orozco
Throughout the years Chris Rose, assistant principal and Men of Honor sponsor, has come across many people’s paths that have has given them new perspectives, opportunities and duties in life. “Mr. Rose is a positive, motivating influence. He and I met nearly 10 years ago. He has provided me many opportunities to discuss issues like decision making, good judgement, and career opportunities with students,” Al Tribble, retired FBI agent, said.

“Teenagers face unique challenges in that they can immediately succumb to pressures of cyber bullying, sexting, and bullying in real time. Consequences of inappropriate behavior, because of the internet are realized faster than ever and do not vanish like instance messages. The adverse effects can last a lifetime. Teenagers must use technology to enable their lives, not destroy them. This can be difficult to navigate without appropriate guidance or role models to share experiences,” Al Tibble, retired FBI agent, said.

Even though these clubs were made for the student, teachers and other advisers find joy in helping students and giving them the encouragement they wish they had when they were younger. They are given the opportunity to become closer to students and get a more extensive idea of what student life is like and ways to help the students.

“When I’m speaking to high school students I feel a real connection because I remember being in their shoes like it was yesterday. I can relate to a lot of the struggles they are dealing with, and I feel like they can tell I’m being real. I just show them who I am and keep it 100 percent. I think that honesty and vulnerability is what earns their attention and respect,” Motivational speaker, Austin Lanier, said.

Jackie Orozco
Young motivational speaker, Austin Lanier struggled growing up. Now as an adult he wants to make the world better for the young people. “To struggling teenagers the main thing I say is never give up. I know it’s not easy, and sometimes life can feel overwhelming and hopeless. I was there. I almost gave up, but I didn’t and now I’m living out my dreams. If that can happen for me, it can happen for you too,” Lanier said.

Rose has also reached students of the high school with purpose beyond school hours.

“I’ve been in Men of Honor for four years since I was in middle school. The reason I’ve been doing it is because i like being a part of it and being surrounded by positive guys and friends. I enjoy doing it to keep me active and off the streets. I love having this community. It’s the main reason I do clubs like Men of Honor. I’ve learned to become a better man, person, son, and brother. My connection with Mr. Rose is tight, he’s like a father figure to me,” London Zenon, freshman, said.

Rose has begun to build relationships with these students despite the short amount of time the club has existed.

“I’m excited about meeting different adults with different careers. It’s cool to see and hear adults talk about how they got to their success,” Catherine Vo, junior, said.

Rose wants to inspire the people who he crosses paths with in hopes that one day students wanting new role models and a path to follow for their future follow the light that both Rose and Powell shine for them.