After weeks of campaigning Homecoming Queen, King receive crowns

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors Ariana Alaniz and Cesar Pena were crowned Queen and King for the school’s 2019 Homecoming celebrations. As has been done for many years, the school’s senior class nominated the members of the court. Beginning a weeks long campaign, that included the candidates making posters and handing out candy, to encourage students to vote for them. The title of Homecoming King and Queen gives the recipients the role of representing the student body in its homecoming celebrations and boost the spirit of the students.

Beau Brittain

Beau Brittain

Beau Brittain

Beau Brittain, Co-Editor

As seniors Cesar Pena and Ariana Alaniz walked down the 50-yard line of Pridgeon stadium, their stomachs filled with excitement. They stood on the field with the other homecoming court nominees, unknowing that the student body had chosen them to be King and Queen. After weeks of campaigning for votes, the moment arrived. The announcements blared their names, their faces filled with excitement.

“As I stood waiting on the field, I felt like I was dreaming, seeing everyone in the stands made me really nervous but I stood confident with a smile on my face. When they called my name my heart burst into happiness and seeing everyone’s reaction made me even more excited,” Alaniz said.

On the field the Gold Dusters put on a dance routine to the sound of the marching band’s music, and members of AFJROTC lined the walkway, creating a canopy of their sabers. The nominees walked down the field arm in arm with their parents. In those few minutes, nervousness and anxiousness filled their tense bodies.

“I’m already a nervous person in general, so waiting on the field to find out was scary. My legs were shaking and went numb a couple of time because I was so anxious,” Pena said.

The other candidates for Queen included Arabella De Luca, Mackenzie Guerro, and Isabella Weiche. The other candidates for King included John Phan, Kelvin Cruise, and Alex Mosaffa.

“I was kind of surprised when I heard my name because all the other girls are super sweet and amazing and they all deserved the crown as much as I did,” Alaniz said.

As has been done for many years, the school’s senior class nominated the members of the court. Beginning a weeks long campaign, that included the candidates making posters and handing out candy, to encourage students to vote for them.

“The whole campaigning process and homecoming court experience was amazing, I met so many people and even new friends,” Alaniz said.

The title of Homecoming King and Queen gives the recipients the role of representing the student body in its homecoming celebrations and boost the spirit of the students.

“I felt honored to have the support of the student body of the school which I have so much pride and love for,” Pena said.