New principal will lead high school into next school year

Back to Article
Back to Article

“There is something very special and unique about this community. And there is so much good here. When you have a community rich with tradition in depth and history you really must capitalize on that,” Maggie Wiley, new principal for the high school, said.

Mariela Vargas

Mariela Vargas

Mariela Vargas

Next year, a new principal will be at the helm of the high school. Maggie Wiley, the current principal at Cook Middle School, will be taking over as the new principal, after Ralph Funk retires after 18 years at the high school.

Wiley comes to the school with 23 years of experience in the field of education. In 1999, she became a math teacher at Cypress Creek High School. Four years later, in 2003, Wiley entered the administration field at Cypress Creek and served as an assistant principal, director of instruction, and associate principal. In 2014, Wiley moved to Cook Middle School as the school’s new principal and is now making the move back to the high school level. Wiley says that the school is a unique place to be because of the surrounding community and the tradition that comes with it.

“You have a community rich with tradition in depth and history. And you really must capitalize on that when you have a school that been here almost 50 years, and there’s so many people who’ve come through Jersey Village,” Wiley said.

After being principal for 18 years at the high school, Ralph Funk is succeeded by Maggie Wiley, present principal at Cook Middle School. He made the decision to retire at the end of the 2019 school year.

Coming from a middle school, Wiley realizes that high school and middle school students deal with completely different problems, but they are not as different as people believe they are.

“I think that I do have to kind of take a step back and look at the issues that concern high school students versus middle school students. The goals are still the same. It’s academic success, and it’s moving on to the next level,” Wiley said. “I don’t think that they’re that much different. They’re just bigger. Middle school students face the same social and emotional challenges that all young people are facing in this day,” she added.

Wiley also said that high school students today face new challenges, like social media, technology, and social differences that her teen generation did not have to deal with when they were growing up. Wiley wants to know how she can help students deal with these problems.

“I think for high school students, it’s just a step further in that and making sure that all of their needs are met in that respect, so that they are able to go out into this great, big world, and deal with the changes that they are that are to face as a young adult,” Wiley said. “I will reacquaint myself with the older student and where their goals are, because the next steps are moving out into the workplace or moving on to college. It is slightly different than in middle school, where I was looking to help people just move on to ninth grade.”

Even though Wiley views technology as a challenge to students, she also recognizes the potential that it has to help them in educational purposes.

“Ultimately, I would like to see that technology is being used to enhance and enrich learning and experiences here rather than what I know that it’s initially used for, which is just social connections,” Wiley said.

Maggie Wiley, present principal at Cook Middle School and new principal for the high school will bring her beliefs and goals to the high school. She hopes for the best for all the students. “I work hard, I get in there and get it done. And that’s what I want from every student at the school,” Wiley said.

Wiley also recognizes that safety is one of the biggest concerns that students have these days. She says safety is a priority, but true safety comes from the help of students being vigilant and speaking out when they see a possible danger.

“There’s no amount of measures, and it can be layered on into any organization or any building or structure that will change safety. It’s going to have to come from us, it’s going to have to be us caring about our community enough to make decisions that keep us safe. We have a responsibility to take care of each other and report those things. That’s not to say there won’t still be clear backpacks or ID badges or those kinds of things,” Wiley said.

Wiley says her personal philosophy is all about hard work, and this is a philosophy that she wants to bring to the school. She wants students to know that their future is in their hands and they define their success.

“I believe that we define our own paths. And I believe we define our own happiness. And that’s the way that I operate. I work hard, I get in there, and get it done. And that’s what I want from every student at the school,” Wiley said.

The entire Falcon community is sad to see Principal Ralph Funk retire but is excited for the future ahead with the new principal Maggie Wiley.

“I am honored to be given the opportunity to serve the Jersey Village community as the new principal of Jersey Village High School,” Wiley said. “This school has a long-standing tradition of excellence and Falcon pride in everything it does. I commit to continuing the great work of the students, staff, and community and pushing us all to ‘soar to new heights.’ I am proud to be a Falcon.”

Maggie Wiley, new principal for the high school, is excited to start her position and hopes to continue the success of the high school. “I’m just excited to be a Falcon. I know that we will do and continue to do amazing things here at Jersey Village. And what I want is for every single student to walk through our doors and walk out a graduate and ready for their post-secondary lives,” Wiley said