State convention awards high honors, medals to JVHS Student Press

Back to Article
Back to Article

At the state journalism convention Jersey Village High School newspaper, yearbook and broadcast students were able to speak with and listen to keynote speaker John Moore, two-time Pulitzer Prize award winning photojournalist and this year’s POYi’s (Pictures of the Year International) winner of the Photo of the Year. Moore shared his experiences from his time as a high school yearbook and newspaper photographer to this present project of documenting immigrant and asylum seekers experiences at the United States border areas. He has been covering the border for the last ten years (in addition to other world assignments) and recently published a book “Undocumented.”

JVHS Student Press

It was a good day to be a Falcon. At the annual student publications state conference, ILPC (Interscholastic League Press Conference) at the University of Texas this weekend newspaper and yearbook journalists were awarded high honors.

Gianncarlo Hernandez
Andrea Zagal, senior, was named the Yearbook Editor of the Year at the State Journalism conference, ILPC, (Interscholastic League Press Conference) this weekend at the University of Texas. She also received a $1,000 scholarship from JostensYearbook.

Yearbook editor Andrea Zagal, senior, received, Yearbook Editor of the Year, honors. Zagal submitted a portfolio of her photos, stories, designs, resume and letters of recommendations. She was the district’s High School Journalist of the Year last year through the CFISD High School Journalism Network. Zagal was also one of the conference’s $1000 scholarship winners, with hers coming from Jostens Yearbook.

“To be given this prestigious recognition is an amazing honor for myself and my school. I am very thankful to my mentors and peers that have allowed me to grow and learn new skills that will help me for my future career,” Zagal said.

“Being in yearbook for the past four years, I have been able to call this place my home and I have received many opportunities that I will value forever. I am very proud of the work I have done throughout my years and I am proud designing this year’s book. I have been able to use my creativity to show people the amount of love and dedication I have for this program,” Zagal added.

In addition to that top honor from the conference Beau Brittain, junior, received a Tops in Texas honor for an online newspaper sports action photo. To win a Tops in Texas award, a student journalist must first win a first-place award in their UIL classification in the category for Individual Achievement Awards. Brittain received that award in addition to other awards at the state scholastic journalism conference.

At ILPC, (Interscholastic League Press Conference) this weekend at the University of Texas, The Peregrine online newspaper editor Beau Brittain, junior, received a Tops in Texas award, for a sports action photo. Brittain received three additional awards at the state conference. Brittain also received a first place for the photo from Texas Press Women of Texas and the National Federation of Press Women for his photo.

“I was very surprised when I found out my photo placed first place. I never imagined that any of my photos would win any awards. When I took the photo last semester, I did not know that it would lead to winning multiple awards,” Brittain said.

In addition to the individual awards the 2018 Falcon yearbook received the rating Award of Distinguished Merit, the association’s highest rating. The newspaper did not submit its website for rating.

TAJE, Texas Association of Journalism Educators, also presented the adviser of the yearbook and online newspaper, Margie Comstock, with a Trailblazer Award. The announcement for this was made at the association’s state convention in November, which Comstock could not attend.

“The students involved with the publication programs at this high school are the best kids. They do their best, and their best does reap rewards for them, to recognize the achievements of other students at the high school. To be a part of seeing them recognized for their talent at this conference becomes one of the best weekends of the year,” Comstock said.

Beau Brittain
The Peregrine online newspaper editor Beau Brittain, junior, received a Tops in Texas award, for a sports action photo. Brittain received three additional awards at the state conference. Brittain also received a first place for the photo from Texas Press Women of Texas and the National Federation of Press Women for his photo.

Each year, more than 1,100 students and advisers attend the spring convention at UT-Austin. The convention showcases more than 100 instructional sessions on professional development, legal issues, trends in the field, journalism skills, careers, and job-related problems. Speakers are experienced advisers, professional journalists and university professors.

At the convention students were able to speak with and listen to keynote speaker John Moore, two-time Pulitzer Prize award winning photojournalist and this year’s POYi’s (Pictures of the Year International) winner of the Photo of the Year. Moore shared his experiences from his time as a high school yearbook and newspaper photographer to photographing history as it happens across the world to his present project of documenting immigrant and asylum seekers’ experiences at the United States border areas for the last ten years.

Student journalists and filmers from the online newspaper, The Peregrine; the yearbook, The Falcon; and the broadcast department, JVTV, attend the Interscholastic League Press Conference this weekend at the University of Texas in Austin this weekend. More than 1,100 students and advisers attend the spring convention at UT-Austin. The convention showcases more than 100 instructional sessions on professional development, legal issues, trends in the field, journalism skills, careers, and job-related problems. Speakers are experienced advisers, professional journalists and university professors.

Moore’s stories engaged his student journalists at each of his sessions. Most came away with an admiration for his passion and a few with the desire to follow in his footsteps.

“ILPC gave me the opportunity to meet John Moore (Pulitzer Prize award winning photojournalist) and it was an absolute honor. If anyone has the time to look up his works, they should because he is a remarkable photojournalist. He has been able to photograph the war in Iraq after 9/11, the Arab Spring uprising, the Ebola outbreak in Liberia, and has been photographing lives of undocumented immigrants in the United States for ten years,” Sierra Rickerson, junior, said. “The insight he gave me only reinforced my love for journalism and I appreciate the anecdotes he shared,” she added.