Ellish new album does not disappoint

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ellish new album does not disappoint

courtesy of Moxie

courtesy of Moxie

courtesy of Moxie

Sierra Rickerson, Staff Reporter

I as well as other fans around the world waited excitedly for the drop of Billie Eilishes album WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? on March 29, 2019 and Eilish did not disappoint. Eilishes most recent album written and produced by her and her brother Finneas is a heartfelt take on pop/indie music as we know it today. She uses sound effects and background noises to give imagery throughout her album and her lyrics by themselves mixed with her soft voice embellish the creativity throughout her songs.

Eilish’s rise to success has been undeniable impactful and sporadic. Since her ‘Ocean Eyes’ debut, one of her most popular songs, Eilish has been recognized globally as a grunge, indie, pop type icon.

“When we made ‘bury a friend,’ the whole album clicked in my head. I immediately knew what it was going to be about, what the visuals were going to be, and everything in terms of how I wanted it to be perceived. It inspired what the album is about. ‘bury a friend’ is literally from the perspective of the monster under my bed. If you put yourself in that mindset, what is this creature doing or feeling?” I also confess that I’m this monster, because I’m my own worst enemy. I might be the monster under your bed too,” Eillish said.

Eillish’s songs in this album are all sung softly and have acapella undertones with instrumentals that compliment gentle voice. Not only that, but all of Eilish’s songs on WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? have meanings that require thoughts deeper than just the surface. This album is one that demands a quiet area with full attention.

One of Eilish’s more popular songs on the album is ‘Wish You were Gay,’ about a girl in love with a guy who doesn’t love her for her so she states she’d rather him be gay, so she didn’t have to feel the pain of him not reciprocating the love she’s attempting to give him.

‘Listen before I go’ is a rather pessimistic song about Eilish’s internal struggle with living. In this song she uses background noises like wind, street cars and ambulance noises to indicate her standing on this rooftop of sadness and having to think about how the decision she’s making will affect her friends, but also implicating that “there’s no way out, but down,” as in this thing she’s decided is set in stone. She finishes the song with “sorry can’t save me now sorry there’s no way ou,” and “call my friends and tell them that I love them and I’ll miss them, sorry.”

Another meaningful song on Eillish’s album is ‘I Love You’ a song about a girl falling in love with someone that isn’t right for her and not being able to say those three words back after being told “I love you.” The relationship grows toxic and both people don’t love one another anymore but they finally cave into toxicity and stay together despite not being right for each other. These are only a handful of songs in Eillish’s album that carry such a weight of importance.

Billie never writes without meaning, or the intention of making spectators feel something whether it be happiness, gloom, or melancholy. Her songs mean something and convey messages that touch her audiences in important areas of their lives.