Bess qualifies as state qualifier in theatrical design

Back to Article
Back to Article

“The only things we faced were the dimensions for the final renderings, we had to play with those quite a bit,” Jayme Norfleet, Theatre teacher and JV player director said. 
Jessie Bess didn’t allow obstacles to stop him from creating his design.

“The only things we faced were the dimensions for the final renderings, we had to play with those quite a bit,” Jayme Norfleet, Theatre teacher and JV player director said. Jessie Bess didn’t allow obstacles to stop him from creating his design.

Jahlyn Blacklock

Jahlyn Blacklock

Jahlyn Blacklock

Due to Jessie Bess’ persistence, not only in his onstage performances, but due to his hands on technician work backstage, he received 2019 Theatrical Design State Qualifier, Division2, Costume Design.
Opportunities fill high school theatre for a large variety of different types of minds and personalities. Bess, sophomore member of the high school tech theatre and a member of the JV players, took full advantage of all opportunities given.

“Technical theatre design and costuming are basically designing costumes for the actor to wear onstage and it represents the actor’s physicality and the time of the play. It’s important because it stands for a part of the reason for the show,” Bess said.

Jahlyn Blacklock
“He did an amazing job creating the world of Ronald Dahl to make the costumes become an interesting concept,” Jayme Norfleet, Theatre teacher and JV Player director, said.
In Bess’ visual collage he illustrates many different moments of “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” using different magazine cut outs.

Bess sketched a variety of outfits and different fashion items using colored pencils, markers and reference from magazine cut outs. His main focus was on the visuals of Veruca Salt, a character from a popular movie “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” as well as a multitude of other characters from the movie. In his creative visual collage he illustrates many different moments of which the characters were wearing wacky/fashionable outfits that were memorable enough to include. Bess was a contestant in the qualification for technically designing on a state level and worked for two weeks straight in order to create the final piece.

“I did the design and everything, drew everything, colored it, put it on the papers, the nice fancy papers. We took a picture of it and my teachers sent it to the people who are over the technical design costuming. The texted back Ms. Childress and Mrs. Norfleet and they both told of them that their student, Jessie Bess, had qualified for technical designing costuming on a state level,” Bess said.

Jahlyn Blacklock
Jessie Bess, sophomore, and Jayme Norfleet, theater teacher, discuss the UIL one act play that has advanced her to area competition alongside the dimensions of the pants Bess created for “Where “Words Once Were.”

Bess has been actively creating and performing in theatre since he was six years old but joined the high school theatre class run by Jayme Norfleet and Beth Crocker, last year. Ever since his creativity has been running wild. Bess has worked on creating many different out of the box fashion and set design ideas.

“I’ve had Jessie for acting I, II and Tech I, II for his freshman and sophomore years. I have seen him grow as an actor. I’ve seen him grow as an actor, I’ve seen him grow as a technician, I’ve seen him grow as a student. He is improving with each task he takes on and I’m excited to see what he does next,” Norfleet said.

Jahlyn Blacklock
“Inspiration came from the show that we had to base our costumes off of which was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I designed Verruca and both of her parents Mr. and Mrs. Salt and the Oompa -Loompa. Those inspirations came from Roald Dahl life as a child and Derbyshire and his school, Repton School. The uniforms were very prestige and since Verruca is rich, I consider her to be very prestige and having a uniform on because she comes from the best.”
Designs made by Jessie Bess, two dimensionally bring the world of Charlie and The Chocolate Factory to life.

Bess’ liveliness on stage goes hand in hand with his love and compassion for the arts and a reflection of how due to his work, he was able to reach the qualification for state level of design.

“He took tech as a freshman, so he’s made so many things for shows and projects in class. He is very smart and funny. He is intelligent in school, talented onstage and offstage. He has great ideas,” Norfleet said.