Winning third brings emotional moment in swine contest

Back to Article
Back to Article

With his pig Pumbaa, Jose Lopez, senior, shows his third place award at the CFISD Livestock and Sale Show.

FFA Facebook page

FFA Facebook page

FFA Facebook page

Andrea Zagal, Contributing Writer

Trembles and nerves filled the body of Julio Lopez, sophomore, as he waited patiently for the results of the swine judging. He wanted to show off the dedication he had put into his pig, as well as the progress his animal had made. The judge passed him one time, and then again. He hoped he would not be chosen for elimination. As one of the last few people standing, the announcement blared Lopez’s swine as third place. Filled with excitement and enjoyment, Lopez fell to the floor on his knees to give thanks to his swine, for all the long hours of training had come to a success.

CFISD News
Sophomore Jose Lopez drops to one knee and gets emotional after it was announced he placed third in swine’s class three in judging at the CFISD Livestock Show Association Show and Sale on Feb. 8. This was his first year showing an animal and Lopez said he was amazed at the recognition for raising his pig, which he named Pumbaa.

Being introduced to taking care of animals by his grandparent, Lopez took an interest in raising animals as a young kid. As an incoming freshman, Lopez joined the FFA program at Jersey Village High School, but this was the first year Lopez decided to participate in the annual Livestock Show.

“I thought it was a good idea to raise an animal, since no one in my family has ever participated in an event like this. I took a chance because I like agriculture and the different aspects of raising an animal,” Lopez said.

Before participating in the show, Lopez had to decide what type of animal he wanted to compete with. After viewing numerous pigs at the Live Exhibit Center, Lopez finally found the right pig for him and named him, Pumbaa.

“My mom helped me pick him out and I had a list of different swines, but when it came down to it, I really liked his physical body and when they announced that I could take him, I was ecstatic to take him to the barn,” Lopez said.

After choosing his swine, Lopez spent countless weeks preparing Pumbaa for the show. Lopez walked him daily and took him outside to teach him discipline and a few tricks. Lopez dedicated his time to raise his swine and felt that they combined their hearts into the raising of Pumbaa and developed one huge heart to accomplish their goal.

Evelyn Kennedy
Taking an interest in raising animals as a young child Jose Lopez, sophomore, spent weeks raising, caring for and training a pig he named Pumbaa, for the CFISD Livestock Show and Sale.

“I put a lot of time and effort into this, I felt since I signed up for this there was a lot of commitment involved. When I got named third place, it felt amazing to have my hard work being rewarded. He was really good that day, and I was proud of him,” Lopez said.