Filed under News, Showcase

Scholastic Gold Key Award goes to senior digital artist

Back to Article
Back to Article

Art student Marissa Llanas, senior, who was awarded a Scholastic Art Gold Key award takes inspiration from Magdeil Lopez to exceed in her artwork.  “Her current series seems to be based on people in pop culture, transforming them until they are barely recognizable. She has a good command of the use of the color palette along with the idea of the elements of line & shape,” Joelyn Laughlin, digital media art teacher, said.

Art student Marissa Llanas, senior, who was awarded a Scholastic Art Gold Key award takes inspiration from Magdeil Lopez to exceed in her artwork. “Her current series seems to be based on people in pop culture, transforming them until they are barely recognizable. She has a good command of the use of the color palette along with the idea of the elements of line & shape,” Joelyn Laughlin, digital media art teacher, said.

Sara Gomez

Sara Gomez

Sara Gomez

As Marissa Llanas, senior, uses complementary colors to accommodate each aspect of her art, she takes time to neatly blend her colors in a way that catches her viewers’ eyes. Due to this artistic intuition Llanas received the regional Scholastic Art Gold Key award for her entry, “melovemealot”.

“I’ve always been into art, specifically digital art. The idea of editing pictures really intrigued me, it made me feel like I could do anything. I was unstoppable describing how art makes me feel,” Llanas said. “The best I can explain it is that it allows me to express my emotions and interest. With art I have unlimited options with the types of art and how I can make what I please,” Llanas added.

The art competition begins at a local level, based on originality, technical skill, and an emergence of a personal voice or vision. Gold Keys are given to the best works submitted to the local competition. After receiving the regional Gold Key, they will be automatically forwarded to the national level, where judging for national medals takes place.

Marissa Llanas
The digital piece “melovemealot” depicts artistic experimentation that it isn’t made with the intention of telling a story.

“Her current series seems to be based on people in pop culture, transforming them until they are barely recognizable. She has a good command of the use of the color palette along with the idea of the elements of line and shape,” Joelyn Laughlin, digital and media art teacher, said.

Llanas structured her art after the works produced by Magdeil Lopez. Lopez uses neon colors to accentuate the black and white subject in her photos and Llanas’ artwork “melovemealot” depicts artistic experimentation that it isn’t made with the intention of telling a story. Llanas stepped out of her comfort zone and experimented with different effects and filters. She put her fears aside when creating, taking her creation further than she could have expected.

“Marissa is always eager to start a new project, or try new things,” Victoria Sturm, sculpture teacher, said.

Additional students also achieved Scholastic Art awards. Honorable mentions went to Candice Asmus, senior, for her art portfolio, “Mental Health,” Marco Hernandez, senior, for his illustration “lost in the blues,” Abigail Cain, junior, for her illustration, “Resort In Distort” and Daniela Cordero, sophomore, for her painting, “Cuban beauty.”