Coach Day receives school’s Teacher of the Year honor

Beau Brittain

More stories from Beau Brittain

Jahlyn Blacklock

More stories from Jahlyn Blacklock

Ivy Hansen

More stories from Ivy Hansen

Back to Article
Back to Article

Beloved coach and teacher, Crystal Day has been named the 2019 Teacher of the Year. She has received praise from her students and colleagues. “Coach Day not only cares about her students, but she puts the students and staff before herself. She instills great role model tendencies about her students but wears so many hats to accommodate the students and staff here at Jersey Village. Coach Day is a coach at times, a mentor to students and staff, another to us all, and most of all a wonderful colleague that I can call a friend. She is great at what she does, and so deserving of this award at least ten times or more,” Tamara Collier, girls basketball coach said.

Andrea Zagal

Andrea Zagal

Andrea Zagal

Teenage girls dressed in PE uniforms dripped sweat upon the freshly waxed floors, while their ever-energetic coach clothed in a pink jacket and neon purple athletic shoes practically gleamed with adrenaline under the fluorescent lighting. Pushups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, she moved with grace and poise as she persisted in encouraging her students to push forward. After all, they had only just completed the warm up.

Crystal Day, or better known as Coach Day to all of her students, received the Teacher of the Year award for 2019. A respected and loved instructor by all, she has made her mark on her students for at least eleven years. When it was announced that she would be receiving the award, Day felt honored and privileged to receive such an honor.

Ralph Funk, principal, determines The JVHS Teacher of the Year with the help of the administrators, the assistant principals and, the director of instruction. They take into consideration the students’ opinion of the teacher, how they interact with their pupils, as well as how they collaborate with the other faculty. This year they overwhelmingly decided to honor Day and her time at the school with this prestigious award.

“[We took her into consideration due to] the way she does her job every day, the way she leads the PE program, [and] the way she interacts with the students,” Funk said.

Andrea Zagal
The 2019 Teacher of the Year, Crystal Day, leads an exercise during one of her physical education classes. “I have been an athlete all my life and it was around my junior year in college I felt extremely passionate about being able to continue my love for track and field and physical fitness,” Day said. Through her instruction, Day hopes that her students and athletes will find their passion and inspire the people around them.

Day’s passion for sports and physical fitness began in her youth, and now utilizes those same skills as an athlete to become a coach and teacher.

“I have been an athlete all my life and it was around my junior year in college I felt extremely passionate about being able to continue my love for track and field and physical fitness,” Day said.

Growing up, Day studied under a number of mentors of whom taught her valuable life lessons and skills. As a teacher, she seeks to pass down these skills to her students as well.

It is humbling, and I am grateful for the honor. It is something special to be recognized by those who have made such great marks in the realm education.”

— Crystal Day

“I feel blessed each day that I have an opportunity to speak life into my students and athletes in the same way my mentors and coaches did for me. I also believe I have a daily responsibility to be the best version of myself, that I might serve as an example for my students and athletes,” Day said.

She hopes by employing those lessons and skills in their own lives, her students will find their passion and establish a life of happiness for themselves.

“[I want to] provide practical tools through the lens of discovering self-value, servant leadership skills, tactful goal setting strategies, and developing a spirit of perseverance for adversity. Even if a student or athlete does not yet know their passion, when they discover it they will have the tools necessary to sustain in it,” Day said.

As a coach for a wide variety of sports and PE classes, Day stays active every day and keeps her students active and fit as well. She delights most in equipping the students with the means to succeed for the sake of empowering them, whereby they can enable and inspire others.

“Empowering individuals, who then empower their communities, who will then go on to empower the world. Equipping my students and athletes with tools for success through the lens of honoring commitments, striving for excellence daily, being disciplined in their crafts, are pivotal lessons on and off the field,” Day said.

Day sees the potential in her students and athletes to achieve great things in their lives for themselves and the world.

“[Seeing] my former 9th grade students, their senior year, walk across that graduation stage and then being blessed to have the opportunity to watch them thrive beyond the walls of Jersey Village,” Day said.

Day has earned praise from her colleagues and close friends at the school. Tamara Collier, varsity girls basketball coach and a close friend to Day, expressed excitement that Day received The JVHS Teacher of the Year award.

“Coach Day not only cares about her students, but she puts the students and staff before herself. She instills great role model tendencies about her students but wears so many hats to accommodate the students and staff here at Jersey Village. Coach Day is a coach at times, a mentor to students and staff, another to us all, and most of all a wonderful colleague that I can call a friend. She is great at what she does, and so deserving of this award at least ten times or more,” Collier said.