StuCo makes fighting mental illness top priority

Back to Article
Back to Article

This year, Esther Hong, senior, is leading an effort to raise money and fight mental illnesses, with the help of other Houston area high school that are a part of the TASC District 13. “These shirts provide mental health hotlines on the back, to display to the public that help is always easily approachable,” the TASC district 13 website stated.

Beau Brittain

Beau Brittain

Beau Brittain

Beau Brittain, Editor in Chief

With Esther Hong, senior and district representative, leading District 13 of the Texas Association of Student Councils, the school’s student council will serve as an officer school. For the 2018-2019 school year, District 13 of the Texas Association of Student Councils, also called TASC, is making fighting mental illness its top priority on their platform.

“We will spread awareness towards the stigma of mental illness with the distribution of our district shirt,” the TASC district 13 website stated.

One of the first projects for the year was raising funds for the National Alliance of Mental Health in the city of Houston, by selling t-shirts in all the schools a part of district 13. All the money raised from the shirts will be donated directly to NAMI, to help fund their work.

Beau Brittain
As the school’s representative for the TASC District 13 officer board, Esther Hong, senior, will help raise money to raise awareness and fight mental illnesses in the city of Houston. The money will be donated to NAMI, an organization dedicated to providing help and support for people who suffer from mental illnesses. “NAMI Greater Houston was chosen because we get to reap the benefits of these contributions, as these projects as services will be affected by our community and city,” Hong said.

“These shirts were used to advocate for the public awareness of mental health, as well as to raise money to donate to the National Alliance of Mental Health – Greater Houston,” Hong said.

As one of the largest mental health organizations in the country, NAMI has been dedicated to helping the millions of Americans who suffer from a mental illness. The organization is made up of hundreds of local branches that educate people about the effects of mental illnesses and advocates for legislation that will provide support for those suffering from mental illnesses.

“We wanted to find a way to tangibly contribute towards the fight against mental illnesses, so we decided to raise money to an alliance that creates mental health workshops, free counseling, and mental health awareness all over the city. NAMI Greater Houston was chosen because we get to reap the benefits of these contributions, as these projects as services will be affected by our community and city,” Hong said.

Hong, and the school’s student council, are working alongside schools from across the city of Houston like, Kempner, Kerr, Alief Elsik, Stratford, and Austin high schools to help raise the money.

“These shirts provide mental health hotlines on the back, to display to the public that help is always easily approachable,” the TASC district 13 website stated.

About the Contributor