Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica members visit nursing home through Asilo program

Wrapping+gifts+for+the+families+and+kids+in+need+for+the+holidays%2C+Veronica+Gorostieta%2C+junior%2C+and+Ester+Berrios%2C+sponsor+of+the+Sociedad+Honoraria+Hispanica%2C+add+final+touches+to+what+is+needed+to+send+them+out.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Wrapping gifts for the families and kids in need for the holidays, Veronica Gorostieta, junior, and Ester Berrios, sponsor of the Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica, add final touches to what is needed to send them out.

Jackie Orozco

Jackie Orozco

Jackie Orozco

Jackie Orozco, Staff Reporter

Students gather all their necessities, before heading out to volunteer at a nursing home for the Asilo program, established by Ester Berrios, sponsor of the Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica (Spanish Honors Society).

“The Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica means opportunities for students to enhance their use of Spanish, and provide service in the community,” Berrios said.

Members who take part in the Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica have different motivations to do so.

“I wanted to take part because I felt like the society would allow me to become closer to my culture. I decided to apply for the officer position because I realized how important Spanish Honors Society is for me culturally,” Nallely Lopez, junior said. “Spanish Honors Society means being able to engage others in Hispanic culture while also helping the Spanish community,” Lopez said.

Every student had different reasons for wanting to take part in such a privileged organization.

Jackie Orozco
Member of the Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica, Niyah Floyd, junior, wraps gifts that all the members would be sending to those in need in the community.

“I love the Spanish language and culture and plan on studying abroad in college. So, joining Spanish Honors Society was a great opportunity for me to both enhance my Spanish awareness outside the classroom and help others grow to love the culture as well,” Rachel Dalina, junior, said.

Berrios established an after-school program for the members to get involved in the Hispanic community as Berrios and her officers propose the idea of Asilo to grow the language and help the community out.

“Student members would be able to interact with residents in Legend Oaks Nursing Home, bring joy to them, and practice Spanish with those who are Hispanic,” Berrios said.

“Members benefit from their visit as they relate with the residents because they feel good seeing the happiness they provide to the elderly. They practice making cards with greetings in Spanish and talking with them person to person, too,” Berrios said.

Joining Spanish Honors Society was a great opportunity for me to both enhance my Spanish awareness outside the classroom and help others grow to love the culture as well.”

— Rachel Dalina, junior

Students make the time to put their efforts into the Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica and take the opportunity that was given to them to visit Legend Oaks, the Nursing Home they visit to brighten one of the Hispanic elder’s day.

“I think the Asilo program is amazing for high school students such as us to participate in because it allows us to accompany Hispanic elders who may not have anyone else to talk to and a lot of these elders enjoy the company of aspiring young people and they often times share great words of wisdom with us,” Lopez said.

Asilo gives students hope for many offering opportunities and benefits.

“In my case, I hope it will help me further my Spanish speaking skills so that I can really communicate with the world around me. Since we live in Houston with a huge Spanish- speaking community and since I want to be a doctor, I know the culture and skills I learn here will help with that,” Dalina said.

Although with the excitement there comes challenges the members from the Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica face and overcome.

Jackie Orozco
Interacting and helping each one another Brenna Lacy, senior, and Ester Berrios, sponsor of the Sociedad Honoraria Hispanica, add to the stack of the multiple designed gift wrap boxes that had been collected from the school’s community.

“One challenge I faced being in this program was speaking Spanish. I’m fine writing and reading Spanish, but I have always had trouble speaking it, as it’s not my native language. To overcome this issue, I have begun speaking Spanish with friends, peers, and family to help integrate the language into my life more,” Shane Kullman, junior, said.

Berrios sees the trials her students face and hopes that they can over come those challenges.

About the Contributor