Blood donations exceed expectations

Back to Article
Back to Article

Blood donations exceed expectations

With the blood donated at the school annual blood drive Erika Garza, senior, helps supply St. Luke’s Hospital with a pint of blood and adds to the total of a possible 180 lives being saved.

Danny Flores

Danny Flores

Danny Flores

Mariela Vargas, Managing Editor

Hoping to make an impact for their community, students and staff donated 60 pints of blood through the high school’s health science department ‘s semi-annual blood drive, coordinated by St. Luke’s Hospital staff, on November 30.

“Every day hospitals and health care facilities seek for blood donors and I think it’s amazing how they chose our students to donate. Not only that, but, health care students who seek to enter the health care career path get to learn and assist patients,” Randi Jones, Health Care teacher, said. “It was and is a big responsibility and opportunity for health care students.”

Mariela Vargas
The smile on Michael Kelley’s face indicates he understands the importance of donating blood and that his donation may save as many as three lives.

Although 97 pints of blood were registered, only the 60 actual donations were received as 37 were denied due to low iron levels.

“It feels amazing knowing I’m helping three lives, especially knowing that it only takes a few minutes to donate. It was great laying down thinking ‘wow these 15 minutes I took out of my life can last up to years to whoever might’ve needed it,” Michael Kelley, senior, said.

Health care students assisted the St. Luke’s staff, having the opportunity to learn about blood, the human body, and how the room temperature may affect how much blood is donated.

Mariela Vargas
During the high school’s health science department annual blood drive Truc Le, junior, becomes part of the 60 pints of blood donated.

“I overall loved the outcome of our drive. I just find it really kind how all the kids came together to donate blood,” Alexis Pena, senior, said.
Not everyone who signed up donated.

“It was such a busy day filled of people coming in and out since six in the morning. Although many students came together, not all donated. Just seeing their faces after being told they weren’t allowed to donate due to their iron level was just devastating since they did come in hoping to donate,” Jada McGibbon, junior, said.