Gold Dusters headed to Rose Bowl parade

The Jersey Village High School Gold Dusters pose with roses as the dance team will travel to perform in the 2019 Tournament of Roses Parade at Pasadena, Calif. This opportunity comes less than two years after the Gold Dusters joined other dance teams in performing in the Super Bowl 51 halftime show.

Mariela Vargas, Managing Editor

The Jersey Village High School Gold Dusters will welcome 2019 in California as they will travel to the Los Angeles area from Dec. 28 to Jan. 1 to perform in the Tournament of Roses Parade.

“We are very proud of the hard work these young ladies have put in and their reputation for being polished and well executed, and how their energy has earned them this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity,” Gold Duster Director Ryan Garcia said.

Gil Albarran
The Jersey Village High School Gold Dusters will join dance teams from Katy, Belton and Hardin-Jefferson high schools in performing at the 130th Tournament of Roses Parade on New Year’s Day. To help promote their appearance, team members will perform live on Dec. 13 on Fox 26 news.

The parade is held annually on New Year’s Day in Pasadena, Calif., and features flower-covered floats in addition to marching and performance ensembles and equestrian units from across the world. Dating to 1890, the parade is followed by the Rose Bowl college football game. Hundreds of thousands of spectators line the parade route while countless others watch the televised broadcast.

The Gold Dusters will join performance ensembles from Katy, Belton and Hardin-Jefferson high schools for the opening and closing choreography of the parade. They were identified with help from HTEDance & Spirit Group, Inc., a Dallas-based company which specializes in providing recognition and opportunities to dance and spirit groups across the dance industry. The company partners with the Tournament of Roses Parade creative directors and prepares everything from choreography routines to outfits for participating ensembles.

“It’s a once-in-a-lifetime event, it’s exciting because it’s hard to get chosen and this will be the first and last time,” Gisselle Madrigal, a senior Gold Duster and social officer, said. “Once HTEDance chooses a school, they never get chosen again.”

Each member is required to raise approximately $2,200 to fund travel and expenses for the trip. To help promote the Gold Dusters and make their parade appearance possible, members will perform live at 9 a.m. on Dec. 13 on Fox 26 news.

“I’m excited because it’s a good bonding experience,” Katie Roos, junior, said. “Yet, it’s scary since I could mess up on the second-most-viewed parade on live TV. But I’m proud of our team.”

Beau Brittain
On Jan. 1, the Jersey Village High School Gold Dusters will perform in the 2019 Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena, Calif. The appearance comes less than two years after the dance team performed in the Super Bowl 51 halftime show.

The Jersey Village High School Gold Dusters will join dance teams from Katy, Belton and Hardin-Jefferson high schools in performing at the 130th Tournament of Roses Parade on New Year’s Day. To help promote their appearance, team members will perform live on Dec. 13 on Fox 26 news.[/caption]

This will be the 130th parade, which features a 5 1/2-mile route and has the theme “The Melody of Life” in celebrating music as a universal language. Legendary singer and songwriter Chaka Khan will serve as the 2019 Grand Marshal.

Those wishing to help donate funds can go to: https://goo.gl/HYGRB1