Homecoming tradition continues with King, Queen annoucement

Seniors Leslie Serna and Dillon Smith were crowned Homecoming King and Queen at half time during the Homecoming game versus the Cy Fair Bobcats. Serna plans to attend culinary school to pursue a career as a pastry chef and Smith plans to attend the University of Houston to major in business.

Mariela Vargas

Mariela Vargas, Managing Editor

The stadium lights beamed, excitement filtered through the air, and the high school’s Homecoming court candidates walked onto the field, arm in arm with Mom or Dad. The crowd awaited who would win the title of King and Queen.

The announcer spoke and the names echoed in the stadium, amid cheers and applause. Dillon Smith, senior, received Homecoming King honors and Leslie Serna, senior, graciously accepted the title of Homecoming Queen.

“I didn’t know how to feel. I obviously wasn’t expecting to win because I didn’t think I had a chance because I’m not what you would call popular. It was an absolute dream come true,” Serna said.

As both were not confident of winning, Smith and Serna were both encouraged to run due to their involvement with the high school and their personalities.

“Whenever they called my name out, I was really amazed because not many believed in me. It was complete disbelief, even though I did make my friends walk around with ‘Dill for the Vill’ signs. I just really was not expecting for me to win such a thing,” Smith said.

The announcement was made during half time at the Homecoming football game versus the Cy Fair Bobcats.

Along with Smith and Serna being elected, the student body chose swim coach, Stuart Webb as Grand Marshal of the Homecoming parade which was held the Wednesday before the Homecoming game. He was given the honor of crowning both with their royal titles.

“I am grateful that my students and athletes enjoy my class enough to vote for me as Grand Marshal. It’s humbling and gratifying to know that I have their respect,” Webb said.

The other candidates for Queen included Katherine Gill, Ahtziri Vazquez, and Amy Knight, seniors. Candidates for King include Jordan Jones, Raymond Richardson, and Jordan Moore, seniors.