Agriculture classroom grows outside garden

In+their+agriculture+science+class+Gavin+Docherty%2C+and++Marie+Salazar%2C+freshmen%2C+help+one+another+to+start+their+garden+for+the+class+by+pouring+soil+into+containers+and+patting+it+down.+

Erik Catalan

In their agriculture science class Gavin Docherty, and Marie Salazar, freshmen, help one another to start their garden for the class by pouring soil into containers and patting it down.

Jackie Orozco, Staff Reporter

Students feeling the rich soil in their hands and willing to get their hands dirty gather around as a class to plant their own agricultural garden. Students open bags of soil, buckets are ready to be filled by students, classmates surround each other kneeling ready to plant their own plants from its original container to a new one and they will start their own garden behind the Agriculture classroom.

Each child had their own motivation to want to be involved in the class, to be a step closer to their future careers and take guidance in this project by Kyle Gilbert, agriculture teacher.

“Agriculture is the backbone of our nation. The ability to produce food is beyond important for a nation. Students as well as all people should know where the food and fiber (cotton, wool, etc.) products comes from. Agriculture is not cows, plows and sows anymore,” Gilbert said. “The modern agriculture industry and modern Agriculture Education student is focused on leadership and the cutting-edge science, technology, engineering and medicine that it takes to feed and clothe the nation and the world.”

Erik Catalan
Marie Salazar, freshman and Lindsey Castillo, sophomore, work together to get their plants out of their original containers and into new containers filled with soil.

Agriculture playing a major role in everyone’s lives with most having little knowledge of it. Teens have the opportunity to take an early interest and soak in the knowledge behind the background of it all, both the food and the animals.

“I chose this class because I am interested in becoming a veterinarian, so I decided to start learning as much as I could as soon as I could,” Gavin Docherty, freshman, said.

Gilbert’s class works on their own garden and wants to benefit from it.

“The Garden Project (SAE) was designed to compare three different types of growing media. We wanted to evaluate and analyze which type of growing media yielded the most product. Each class selected the growing media for the project,” Gilbert said.

Erik Catalan
Lindsey Castillo, sophomore, water students’ plants, once all the plants have been planted. The plants are located outside the agriculture science classroom, for easy access for the students.

With the students looking forward to the lesson behind the project, they take matters into their own hands, doing things differently to see outcomes of their garden and different affects that little things can change in the process of planting and growing their own food.

“Plants were planted and watered only. Measurements are taken, and yield counted, thus giving a true measurement of the quality of the media. The project also teaches more than just ‘sticking a plant in dirt and watering it.’ Students learned how to create a container garden and a new method of producing crops,” Gilbert said.

All involved in the program hope to learn from it and rise from it also. Despite the many different points of views all students have they all share one, they want the best in the world of agriculture.

“Challenges are faced in every course. Adversity is life’s greatest teacher. My goal is facilitating a classroom where students can succeed and fail. Learning occurs through both success and failure,” Gilbert said.