Journalism teacher receives professional organization’s Trailblazer Award

Addison Kanke

Journalism teacher and JVHS Student Press adviser Margie Comstock (seated) is surrounded by some of her yearbook students in celebration of the longtime educator being awarded the Texas Association of Journalism Educators (TAJE) Trailblazer Award on Oct. 21 at the association’s Fall Fiesta Convention in San Antonio.

Andrea Zagal, Contribution Writer

This past weekend on October 21st, 2018, Margot Comstock, journalism teacher from Jersey Village High School, was awarded the Texas Association of Journalism Educators (TAJE) Trailblazer Award at the TAJE Fall Fiesta Contest. The Trailblazer Award is an award for people who have set trends and shaped Texas Journalism.

As a fellow colleague, Samantha Berry, journalism teacher from Bridgeland High School, nominated Comstock for her tremendous service to scholastic journalism and inspiring her students to reach new heights.

She’s the reason why I decided to major in journalism and even think to make it my future career.”

— Christine Le, 2015 graduate

“She is a friend and a mentor to other journalism teachers, and I can attest personally to her impact and legacy. She was very welcoming when I began in the district and has been a constant source of support,” Berry said.

Comstock has taught in the journalism field, as she says, “since dirt was dirt” and has been the journalism teacher at Jersey Village High School for 30 years.

“I am very honored that the executive board members have selected me to receive the Trailblazer Award. There are a lot of amazing people in that list of previous honorees. I am not sure I belong with them; and, I am very humbled, honored, surprised, left without breath, so many words that go along with ‘wow’ to be selected,” Comstock said.

Quite a few of her students have made their mark in the professional field, including 2008 Pulitzer Prize winning photojournalist, Adrees Latif, and continue to amaze others with their need to tell the world their stories and show their images.

“She’s the reason why I decided to major in journalism and even think to make it my future career. When I first started out in yearbook my sophomore year, I knew absolutely nothing about anything and she guided me to be the journalist/photographer that I am today and that’s how I found my passion,” Christine Le, class of 2015 alumni, said.

Comstock believes the Trailblazer Award is not only for her, but for the over 1000 of scholastic journalists who have walked through her student press doors.

“They are the trend setters and movers and shakers of Texas scholastic journalism. They have built the program at Jersey Village High School into the award-winning program it is. These are not just words, they are my true feelings,” Comstock said.