Welding team takes 1st place

At+the+Texas+High+School+Welding+Series+Hunter+Krusleski%2C+Ezequiel+Baltazar%2C+Jazyn+Boiling%2C+juniors%2C+Neftali+Alanis%2C+Johnathan+Gomez%2C+and+Jesus+Hernandez%2C+seniors+show+the+trophies+they+earned+at+the+contest+in+Columbus%2C+Texas.+

Doug Pearson

At the Texas High School Welding Series Hunter Krusleski, Ezequiel Baltazar, Jazyn Boiling, juniors, Neftali Alanis, Johnathan Gomez, and Jesus Hernandez, seniors show the trophies they earned at the contest in Columbus, Texas.

Mariela Vargas, Managing Editor

On September 19, the high school’s welding team placed with its first win in the Texas High School Welding Series in Columbus, Texas.

Those winners include, Jazyn Boiling, junior, first place, Ezequiel Baltazar, junior, seventh place; and Hunter Krusleski, junior, with ninth place in Agricultural Class, the level one competition.

Level one is a competition in which a student must weld a one by four-inch piece within 10 minutes.

Mariela Vargas
Jesus Hernandez, senior, places first in the Advanced Class competition, in which students have 15 minutes to complete two sides of a vertical three-foot structure.

Along with the level one winners, Jesus Hernandez, senior, placed first; Neftali Alanis, senior, placed second; and Johnathan Gomez, senior, placed fifth in the level three competition. The Advanced Class competition is also known as the level three competition, in which students have 15 minutes to complete two sides of a vertical three foot structure.

“I felt such an excitement for winning because I have worked so hard for where I am right now. It’s only up from here, there’s no backing up,” Alanis said.

The Texas High School Series is a competition in which Texas high schools’ welding teams compete against each other in underwater welding, paper tests, and team competitions.

“In this competition students can not only learn much more about welding but, students have the ability to earn their own certification in welding in the courses Welding One and Two. We earned four,” Doug Pearson, welding teacher, said.

In addition to first and third level wins, Boiling placed fifth in the knowledge test, a paper test in which the student is tested on their welding knowledge. Also, Gomez placed third in the underwater welding competition. In the competition, a trough is brought in and a student inserts his hand in a glove and welds a structure underwater.

“I started welding when I was a junior and I just feel like all the work and time that I’ve put into welding is finally paying off. Welding is truly a career that I’d like to get into as it is pretty easy,” Gomez said.

Mariela Vargas
Johnathan Gomez, senior, places third in the Underwater Welding Competition, in which a trough is brought out for Gomez to insert his hand in a glove and welds a structure underwater.

Another CFISD school, Cypress Ridge High School also placed. Nick Padfield, sophomore, placed third in the level one competition; Antonio Lujan, senior, third place; Katherine Bennett, junior fourth place in the level two competition. Jeyson Gutierrez, senior, placed third in the level three competition.