Jersey Voltage competes, wins at Lone Star Competition

Freshman Vanessa Castillo watches as the Star Competition takes place.

Mariela Vargas, Staff Reporter

At the Lone Star Competition April 4,5,6,7, Jersey Voltage placed first, second seed and fourth, fourth seed. Competing against a NASA sponsored team, Robonauts and a team from Katy, CRyponites, Jersey Voltage felt confident at the competition.

“I honestly felt really confident due to the fact that we were one of the best teams at the competition,” sophomore Jonathan Vargas said.

Jonathan Vargas, Bryan Flores, Isabel Vargas, and Jason Arizmendi de Leon make sure that their robot’s securely packaged in its crate after Lone Star Central Regional.

But not everything went smooth at the competition. Midway through the competition, Jersey Voltage did have trouble with the climb of the robot. The members were prepared with a plan to fix it.

“It was very scary thinking we would get eliminated due to that small problem,” freshmen Bryan Flores said.

Although this was not Jersey Voltage’s first win, they also won at the Lone Star Central which was held on March 17, winning two awards, Regional Winners and in Engineering in Excellence sponsored by Delphi.

“At the Lone Star Central Competition, I honestly felt really proud of not only winning regionals, but because our robot has come this far,” Flores said.

Ending with a record of 14-8-0, Jersey Voltage left competition with the title of regional finalists, and an award sponsored by General Motors, the Industrial Design Award.

“I honestly couldn’t be more proud of ourselves for making it this far. Although I was confident, it still felt amazing just knowing we made it this far,” freshmen Vanessa Castillo said.

Jersey Voltage will have a World Competition at George R. Brown in April 19, 20, 21 and will be open to the public without an admission fee.

Jersey Voltage display their awards after winning Lone Star Central Regional.