Percussionist places 1st in area, advances to state

Placing third in the class 6A division at the Texas Music Educators Association’s state competition junior Joshua Chavez, represented the district as the only percussionist from Cy-Fair ISD to advance on to state level.

Javier Zabala

Pamela Jimenez, Editor in Chief

Chavez juggled the stress of marching band, being a high school junior, and learning the all state etude for hours on end.

“I balanced everything by making sure that I put school first. Marching band season is always tough with the mix of school, but I knew needed to stay organized with my schedule, timing with school work, and all of the other activities that need to get done throughout the day as well. It may seem like a lot, but it can all be done,” Chavez said.

When music for region band came out, Chavez decided to try out because he always enjoyed playing exciting music and wanted to make the most out of high school band.

“I like the way we all get the chance to play in region band, because it’s always enjoyable. I don’t really aim for or set a goal to make this, or make that, but just to do and be the best that I can be when auditioning and playing my music,” Chavez said.

I prepared by practicing consistently throughout the months, consistently the closer auditions came for things like Region Orchestra in November, and of course region band in December.”

— junior Josh Chavez

Auditions peered up closer and Chavez had everything under control. He reminded himself to relax and not stress himself out.

“I prepared by practicing consistently throughout the months, consistently the closer auditions came for things like Region Orchestra in November, and of course region band in December,” Chavez said

Chavez has had guidance since the 9th grade of Kyle Stahl, the drumline and percussion teacher, who helped him throughout his journey.

“I’m extremely proud of Josh for making state and very excited for him.  Josh is an awesome young man who consistently goes above and beyond. His successes a purely the product of his own work ethic and desire to be great,” Stahl said

While Stahl is extremely proud of Chavez, Chavez thanks Stahl for his success.

“Stahl has helped improve me as a percussionist on and off of the marching field and I truly appreciate the things he has helped me accomplish as a musician,” Chavez said.

Chavez has been in band for five years and never imagined he would end up being one of the best percussionists in the state of Texas.

Adryan Castañeda
Alongside other members of the band junior Josh Chavez joins the celebration of the Girls Varsity Basketball team as they took on the Cy Ranch Mustangs.